Learning Support Centre
Ext 233 Michelle Boyde
The Te Awamutu College Learning Support Centre provides specific programmes to address individual learning and behavioural needs. It caters for all learners – both extension and those needing support. It is a centre for learning excellence.
The Learning Support Centre offers:
- Learning Support classes for Year 9 and if required, Year 10
- Experienced committed staff; high staff/pupil ratio
- A purpose built building
- Liaison with classroom teachers
- Te Kura (Correspondence school) supervision
- NCEA Special Assessment Conditions support
- “Learning Success” – a computer based programme providing extra reading, spelling and mathematics support
- Facilitation of students into mainstream education
- Liaison with outside agencies (GSE, OT, RTLB, RTV etc)
- Learning Support Assistants (LSA) support for eligible students
In the Learning Support Centre we recognise the importance of providing students with a relaxed, non-threatening atmosphere. We acknowledge the importance of building self-esteem as well as empowering students to be self-responsible learners. We believe that our Centre provides students with opportunities to realise their full potential and achieve successes at their level.